July 13, 2014 “The Integrated Professional: Well, Wealthy and Wise” – Do You Give IT All Away?
Most of us have been taught that it is nobler to give than to receive. While giving can be a wonderful, heart-warming experience, giving too much of our time and energy can be detrimental to our total well –being, creating a deficit in our personal wealth accounts. This bankruptcy can lead to anxiety, being overwhelm and burnout. Take this quiz to see if you are giving it all away.
1. I force myself to do things even when I don’t have the energy to do them.
2. I ignore my body’s “no” signals when I think someone’s needs are greater than mine.
3. I hate conflict, so I’ll do whatever it takes to avoid it, which often means doing something I don’t want to do.
4. I feel obligated to answer the phone when it rings even when I really don’t want to.
5. The amount of time I spend listening to others far exceeds the amount of time that others listen to me.
6. If I don’t answer all the emails I receive I feel guilty.
7. In order to provide luxuries for my family I work more hours than I want to.
8. I schedule my work time around my clients’ needs rather than around my own.
9. I can’t say no when people in need ask me for money.
10. When I’m out to dinner with people who have less money than I do, I feel obligated to pick up the check.
11. I volunteer for my place of worship or other organizations even if I don’t have the time.
12. People won’t like me if I say no.
13. I’m the person everyone calls when they need help: a babysitter, chauffeur, or someone to fill in at work.
14. My children’s happiness comes before mine. I’ll do whatever it takes to make them happy.
15. I have a hard time saying no to my partner because I want him/her to be happy, even if saying yes makes me unhappy.
16. I feel selfish if I don’t share what I have with others.
If you answered true more often than false, you may want to find ways to create a more integrated lifestyle by getting clear on your values and priorities and learning more about boundary setting. To explore more on the Integrated Professional contact me at www.dblatimore.com/contact
Author’s content used under license, © 2008 Claire Communications